Accolades for The Newtowner Special Tribute Issue:
The tribute issue is absolutely perfect! I will treasure it forever. Thank you so much for this wonderful gift that you and your staff have given us. I can only imagine all the time spent weighing out every little detail. It was worth it--it's beautiful! One more reason to be proud of our little town. Bless you! –Wendy Leon-Gambetta, Newtown resident
I've read through the issue and what I've found is compassion, beauty, and love in the face of tragedy. The poetry, the narratives, the artwork and the testimonials all strive to achieve what this issue is meant to achieve: it is an offering of hope and light to cut through the despair and shadows. –Tim Stobierski, author of Chronicles of a Bee Whisperer
The emotions I experienced will, no doubt, be felt by all who read this issue of The Newtowner. It's an extraordinary work---one in which all involved can experience consummate accomplishment and pride. It's a cathartic blessing.
–Anita Holtz, Sandy Hook resident
Wonderful edition of The Newtowner! Beautiful work. Thank you. A really moving experience for any who believe in art . . . And humanity. –Richard Pilbrow, Founder and Chairman Emeritus of Theatre Projects Consultants
The magazine is such a wonderful tribute to all. It's beautiful. Thank you to the editor and her team of bodhisatthvas.
–Judith Stevens, Buddhist Dharma teacher, Order of Interbeing founded by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh
I got my copy of The Newtowner Tribute Issue today. The entire issue is enticing and is illustrated so beautifully. Congratulations. –Breena Clarke, author of Oprah Book Club selection River, Cross My Heart.
Just received my copy of The Newtowner Tribute Issue in the mail--words can’t describe how amazing this came out.
I finished reading the Tribute Issue and it’s so wonderfully written. I loved every piece. Some caused me to cry (particularly the father's letter) and in some moments I laughed. But it gave me such a feeling of love and togetherness, and compassion. It’s truly a healing gift that I will read again, and again. Thank you, everyone who worked on it. –Maka Bakhbava
What an absolutely beautiful contribution! You are helping to heal broken hearts.
–Carolyn A Molinaro
Takes my breathe away! –Rose Buckens
Beautiful and ethereal –Eileen Sherlock Martinelli
Beautiful and very moving –Glo Foster
Truly special, and beautiful –Gayle Meissner
SPECIAL TRIBUTE ISSUE
DEDICATED TO NEWTOWN, CT
Our latest issue is a special tribute issue offered as a healing gift to the people of Newtown.
By its very nature it is a publication of historic significance.
Our aims for this issue are to:
- Celebrate the people, beauty, culture, and community spirit of Newtown, CT
- Remember those we love and lost
- Give artistic expression to the grief we have shared
- Highlight the role of the arts in healing and the arts’ ability to nurture our humanity
- Focus on our love, faith, and hope for the future.
Featuring contributions from:
- Nationally acclaimed authors and illustrators such as Wally Lamb, Lois Lowry, Katherine Paterson, and Steven Kellogg
- Pulitzer Prize-winning poet Yusef Komunyakaa
- Sesame Street’s Alan Muraoka
- National leaders such as Senators Richard Blumenthal and Chris Murphy, and Congresswoman Elizabeth Esty
- Newtown’s First Selectwoman Pat Llodra
- Newtown faith leaders such as Rabbi Shaul Praver and Monsignor Robert Weiss
- Newtown educators such as Newtown High School Principal Chip Dumais and
Reed Intermediate teacher Gael Lynch
- Newtown residents and high school students
- Sandy Hook Elementary School parents David Wheeler and Sophfronia Scott
- Sandy Hook Elementary School staff member Cindy Carlson
- Sandy Hook Elementary School student artists Daniel Barden, Chase Kowalski, Jessica Rekos, and Avielle Richman