PO Box 456 Newtown, CT 06470 N Ph: 203 304 1239
THE NEWTOWNER is a one-of-a-kind arts and literary magazine
showcasing the work of emerging and established literary, visual, and performing artists from our local area and across the nation.
THE NEWTOWNER derives its name from Newtown, CT where we are based and from its residents who make this town so special.
Our mission is to:
Celebrate creative community and the life-affirming power
of literature and the arts
In light of the events of 12/14/12, this mission has never been more
relevant or important.
Our upcoming issue, due for release in June 2013, will be a special tribute issue offered as a healing gift to the people of Newtown.
By its very nature it will be a publication of historic significance.
Our aims for this issue are to:
- Celebrate the people, beauty, culture, and community spirit of Newtown, CT
- Recognize and give artistic expression to the grief we have experienced
- Highlight the role of the arts in healing and the arts’ ability to nurture our humanity
- Focus on our love, faith, and hope for the future.
- Show that although this has been a defining moment in the life of our town, it does not define us
- Remind us all of why we are so proud to call this town home.
Features of this issue will include:
- Keynote message by Newtown’s First Selectwoman Pat Llodra
- Faces of Newtown – portraits of Newtown residents
- Places of Newtown – a photo essay highlighting Newtown’s physical beauty
- Letters to the People of Newtown – messages of hope, support, and inspiration from writers such as Wally Lamb, Lois Lowry, and Katherine Paterson, clergy such as Rabbi Praver of Congregation Adath Israel, educators such as Chip Dumais, Principal of Newtown High School, and leaders such as Senator Richard Blumenthal.
- Reflections on “What Newtown Means to Me” by local residents
- Essays by David Wheeler and Sophfronia Scott, Sandy Hook Elementary School parents
- Poetry by Pulitzer Prize-winning poet Yusef Komunyakaa
- Poetry by Sandy Hook Elementary School staff member Cindy Carlson and Newtown High School students
- From Broadway with Love by Alan Muraoka from Sesame Street
Call for submissions: The Newtowner is calling for submissions of poetry, nonfiction, photography, and art that would be appropriate in an issue dedicated to the people and places of Newtown. All submissions must be submitted via the Submissions page on this website. Deadline for all submissions is May 15, 2013. Call for volunteers: The Newtowner is seeking volunteers and interns that would be interested in helping to produce this special tribute issue. Volunteer opportunities are available in the areas of writing, editing, public relations, publicity, fundraising, photography, illustration, design, and distribution. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest. Call for sponsorship: Our hearts’ desire is to provide complimentary copies to, if not every Newtown household, at least every Sandy Hook Elementary School family. We are looking for individual and corporate sponsor funding to be able to achieve this goal. Please contact email@example.com to express your interest.
Thank you in advance for whatever help you can offer in creating this healing gift to Newtown.